Home  |  Contact Us  |  Français
 

Reports submitted to the Ontario Ministry of Environment for Plasco Trail Road

Monthly Engineering Report - October 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - September 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - August 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - July 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - June 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - May 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - April 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - March 2014

Annual Report - April 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - February 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - January 2014

Monthly Engineering Report - December 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - November 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - October 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - September 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - August 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - July 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - June 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - May 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - April 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - March 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - February 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - January 2013

Monthly Engineering Report - December 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - November 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - October 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - September 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - August 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - July 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - June 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - May 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - April 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - March 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - February 2012

Monthly Engineering Report Correction - January 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - January 2012

Monthly Engineering Report - December 2011

Monthly Engineering Report - November 2011

 

ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE

A significant part of Plasco’s philosophy is a commitment to using the best available technologies to minimize our facilities’ environmental footprint and to have an environmental performance that far exceeds regulatory standards.

Greenhouse Gas Reductions

Processing waste through the Plasco Conversion System reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in two ways. First, it eliminates the methane that would form if the waste were landfilled – this is significant since methane has a global warming potential 23 times that of carbon dioxide (CO2). Second, power generated from our process displaces power from other sources such as coal. The result is that a Plasco Facility reduces greenhouse gas emissions.

Air Emissions Performance

 At Plasco Trail Road, the air emissions are associated with ultra-low engine exhaust from generating electricity in the engines. Plasco has invested in the best available gas cleaning technologies to ensure that the syngas is clean prior to delivering it to the engines. Plasco is committed to going beyond compliance. Below is Plasco’s emission profile.

Parameter Units US EPA 40 CFR 60 Eb EU Plasco Demonstration Limits Plasco Actuals
Particulate Matter mg/Rm3 14 9

17

0.73

Organic Matter mg/Rm3 - 9

66

0

Hydrogen Chloride mg/Rm3 27 9

27

0.28

Sulphur Dioxide mg/Rm3 56 46

56

38

NOx mg/Rm3 202 183

207

107

Mercury μg/Rm3 35 46

20

0.2

Cadmium μg/Rm3 7 46

14

0

Lead μg/Rm3 98 -

142

0.2

Dioxins and Furans ngTEQ/Rm3 9 0.092

0.08

0.001

* Plasco Flare with Engine No. 1 exhaust (100% MSW) as submitted to the Ontario Ministry of Environment in Interim Source Test report (HCl, SO2 and NOx maximum 24 hr average during source test)
Notes: 1. All values are expressed at 11%O2 and regular conditions (101.3 kPa, 25˚C)
2. EU regulations combine Thallium with Cadmium and Lead with Class III Metals

 

What about the other 5%?

While most jurisdictions require that hazardous waste like batteries and thermometers, be disposed of in controlled facilities, these heavy metals still enter the primary waste stream and unfortunately end up in landfills and incinerators. In a conventional landfill these substances would slowly poison our land and water system. The Plasco Conversion System removes these hazardous substances that enter the waste stream and sends them for controlled disposal in a hazardous waste facility. With a typical North American municipal waste stream, the total heavy metals sent for disposal — including the activated carbon screen they are caught in — amount to about 5% of the waste that Plasco processes. The other 95% of the waste is converted into electricity and other saleable products.

It is important to note that these metals are not created by the Plasco Conversion System but are captured by the system to permit safe disposal.